Evaluation & Bike Trial Day:
Variety is hosting an Evaluation/Bike Trial Day at the Pittsburgh Airport Marriott on Monday, November 26 from 8:00am to 8:00pm. There is no cost to attend. All families interested in obtaining a bike for their child are encouraged to attend! Children will be officially evaluated by a physical therapist and fit to a bike suitable for their needs.
Bike Presentation Event:
Variety will also be hosting a Bike Presentation Event on December 20, 2012 at 10:00am at the IBEW building, South Side, to formally present children with their new adaptive bikes. Variety would like to have as many families attend this event as possible to make each child's bike presentation special.
To RSVP to this event or if you have any further questions regarding the "My Bike" Program, please contact Sandra Thompson at 412-747-2680 or at email@example.com.
The eligibility for a child to receive an adaptive bike is as follows:
1. Reside in the ten county area of southwestern PA. (Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Indiana, Lawrence, Washington and Westmoreland).
2. Have a physical, mental or sensory disability documented by a physician.
3. 21 years of age or younger.
4. Submit completed “My Bike" application.
5. To expedite orders and paperwork, Variety will be working with one vendor for the "My Bike" Program. (A bid process has already been completed)
Blackburn's Jessica Seeley - Ext. 1114 Arianna Vesnesky - Ext. 1249 724-224-9100
6. Submit a letter from a physical or occupational therapist indicating that an adaptive bicycle would be medically appropriate and therapeutic for the child and that a conventional bicycle would not be appropriate. The letter should also state the successful trial of a Rifton adaptive bicycle.
7. Denial letter from existing medical insurance provider within the last 6 months.
8. Applicant's Family income must meet the guidelines established by the US Department of Health and Human Services and may not exceed 400% of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. http://www.familiesusa.org/resources/tools-for-advocates/guides/federal-poverty-guidelines.html
Visit www.varietypittsburgh.org today!